The List

My wife bought this for me as an anniversary gift. Roseanne Cash's latest project. I like the album but wish she/her label/her producer had done just one more thing: I'm sure the project will sell well but I'd liked to have seen a double CD that included the original versions of the same songs.

These songs that Johnny Cash felt were classics in some form or another were first done by people like Jimmie Rodgers,Blind Willie Johnson, Don Gibson, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Guy Mitchell, Ray Price, Kingston Trio, for the Long Black Veil alone the list of people who've done this song is endless, Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard,and of course the Carter family - in other words a list that spans several decades and styles and even perhaps genres.

A double CD with the chance to hear some of the old stuff would have made this so much better and possibly rekindled interest in the old time country stuff.

I grew up listening to some of this so I have an unnatural soft spot.

But in case my wife reads this I still like the CD just fine. Thanks!

Comments

Popular Posts