it was free

DISH periodically offers free channels, I'm sure to tease us into an upgrade but Patti is savvy and checks out the free stuff for anything we might want to watch later. Kiss the person who invented the DVR!

Not too long ago she recorded Hemingway and Gellhorn off HBO.

Not sure why I kept watching but it was a train wreck! I hope Nicole Kidman got a ton of money for that since it might set her career back a notch or two. I always say I like Hemingway but really only like two of his books so I'm not exactly a fan-boy.

The story is supposed to be about Hemingway and his relationship and eventual marriage (3rd or 4th, I lost count) to journalist Gellhorn. Things get all mixed up with the Spanish Civil War, only a tiny bit about WWII and in general made a mess of things.

I watched a little of the credits to see who did what and was disappointed to see a really good editor, Walter Murch, had worked on it. There were so many cheesy effects and scenes. Imagine Zelig and Forrest Gump sort of mashed together where these people are inserted into what I guess was documentary footage from the 30s etc. They move in and out of black and white to color and back again for no apparent reason. Add a few Dali-like scenes shot in the iris of the eye as a sort of odd POV shot and well, anyway... if you see this pop up free somewhere, Redbox etc., run, don't walk away.

Comments

Popular Posts