PG-13

This past weekend Sarah Palin uttered an unmentionable word on TV – cojones; in reference to how she felt about our President and the Gov. of AZ.

Some in the media are taking her to task over this apparent linguistic faux pas.

Not too many years ago Bush 43 was ridiculed when he used the word poop or doo-doo or something like that. The media said ‘if that is what he meant, why not say the real s*** word.’

So what do they want? Darned if you do and darned if you don’t.

Looks like the FCC is going to relax standards on what they call unintentional profanity. I guess before too long certain words will enter the mainstream lexicon and we’ll have even more ‘splaining to do to our kids.

But come on – cojones? I knew what they were and what it meant when I was maybe 13 years old.

We already have “frickin’” or “freakin.’ which I won't let my kids use.” Crap has been around since I was barely verbal. What are the origins of darn? I couldn't say that when I was a kid.

I’m not in favor of anything goes. I think we’ll see a pendulum swing and a few celebs and TV-writers are going to try to slip a few more words in.

I’m not sure where to draw the line but maybe a lesson in what profanity really is versus crude language – they are different.

When I was a kid, people who would occasionally utter a word or two and they’d quickly say “pardon my French,” and keep on going. Today all those French words are pretty much part of our everyday language and wouldn’t even cause a PG movie to be rated PG-13.

Wonder what we’ll look back and think in 10 years or so?

Comments

Popular Posts