Concessionaire, extraordinaire!

At the ripe old age of 57 I have finally worked a concession stand at the Fair. So now I’ve been a livestock exhibitor and worked a concession stand. All that’s left now is to be a Carny – uh, no.

My daughter’s senior class did it as a fundraiser (the concession people use free student/parent labor and in turn give 10% of their gross to the group/school etc.)
We made/sold Tornado Taters and Pork Loin Sandwiches.

The “taters” are an entire potato that is sliced and then fried in a sort of string of potato chips. (almost a potato slinky*!) These were by far the most popular item and my main role was to take the hot (extremely hot!) greasy, drippy potato slinkies and place them in a “boat”, a small cardboard tray.

You had to pile them just right and as the lady in charge kept telling me, not to squash them. I guess the taller the pile, the better they look!

A few times I got to actually make them but I kept slicing the potatos too thin which doesn’t make for a good “tornado tater!”

Occasionally I made sandwiches but that was mostly taking this humongous piece of fried pork and putting it on a bun with tomatoes, lettuce and mayo and then slicing it.

Things were pretty slow on the last day of the fair and with temps still in the mid 90s, I guess hot greasy food was not first on everyone’s list.

I played a small role in helping raise funds for our itty-bitty little rural school and at the same time helped raise everyone’s cholesterol a few points.

*By the way, if anybody uses that name I came up with it first!

Comments

Popular Posts