Memphis Beat

Found a new show. Memphis Beat on TNT. At first I thought OK, then I was less impressed but with more viewings I’m finding I like it.

Quirky – sort of a cross between Twin Peaks but set in the south (OK not that quirky but …) and a little bit of Life (a short-lived but interesting show once on NBC). The sets and style are a little Hill St. Blues-ish, but at a slower pace to match what the humidity does to you.

It is not flashy but I find myself smiling at certain things so it must be touching something somewhere. I normally don’t react much to TV – just a passive experience.

Even if you don’t get into the show, I’ll bet it has the best soundtrack going on TV (OK my daughter would argue Dr. Who (PLEASE!) but I’m not going there!) Chock full of little bits of blues and Memphis tinged R&B and whatever else fits that Mississippi River/Beale St. vibe.

Here's a playlist just for the pilot:

Green Onions - Booker T & the MG's
Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
Walking the Dog - Rufus Thomas
Bootleg - Booker T & the MG's
Son of a preacher man by Dusty Springfield
What It Is - Little Milton
That's Alright Mama - Elvis Presley
Drop Down Mama - Sleepy John Estes
Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King
Time is Tight - Booker T & the MG's
I See a Darkness - Keb Mo
Change Gonna Come - Otis Redding

So check it out if you get TNT.

Comments

Popular Posts